Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Yes That Blessed My Life


This is my oldest son, Joseph. We call him Joey. Fourteen years ago, he was called a fetus, an option, a choice.
I was only 17. Even though I knew abortion was bad, I was terrified. My boyfriend had left me and when a friend told me she'd had three abortions and knew where I could get one, we called and made an appointment.
I didn't really want an abortion. I was just scared out of my mind. I didn't have the love or support of the baby's father. I couldn't imagine telling my family.
It was honestly by the grace of God that a trusted aunt (a practicing Catholic) suspected I was pregnant. She confronted me lovingly, promising to help me, and I broke down sobbing. I never made it to that appointment...she saved my son's life.
Saying yes to life transformed MY life. When I had my son, it wasn't easy, but God is faithful, and He blessed me in ways I never would have imagined. He changed my heart,and helped me to be a good mother and to change my life. I came back to the Church, and went back to school and onto college, until I left to go into music ministry full-time. I met my husband while singing at a catholic conference (he was the drummer!), and we've been married for almost four years. He became the father Joey never had, and we have two more children now, too. Hopefully we will have more!
My son is funny and charming, creative and smart. He loves sports and reading and being with his friends and family. I cannot imagine what my life would be like now if I had gone to that clinic fourteen years ago. The beautiful kid that you see in this picture would only be a hole in my heart, in my life.
I mean it when I say that all the big blessings in my life began the moment I uttered that one little yes. Abortion is NEVER the answer, it never helps, it never makes things better. If you're pregnant, or you know someone who is, please say YES!
There has never been one day that I have regretted my decision to choose life for my son.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful testimony Prolife wife.

    It is great to find another prolife Catholic blog. I will add you to my following list.

    God bless
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing more of your story!!! I am so thankful for your Yes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this blog from facebook. I noted that you say "hopefully we'll have more." What a prophecy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish so many more women could see what they are giving up when they choose an abortion. Your son is an amazing gift and you are a wonderful witness to share your story with others. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete